Thursday, March 31, 2011

Home Education

Our family is one that home schools, or if you prefer to put it this way, we are home educators. I suppose you could say that we do school at home but that would actually not be quite accurate. We don't do school in the traditional sense. My children have very few work books. Most of our time is spent sitting on the couch reading books together. While my children are not constantly doing 'busy work', it is amazing to me how much they retain from the living books we read together.

The curriculum we have chosen to use for the time being is Sonlight. There have been times when we've seriously considered doing other programs but we always come back to Sonlight.

Mr. Beaver and I have attended numerous home school conventions, we have read extensively on the subject, and we have been privileged to learn from veteran home educators. Based on this research and on our own experiences thus far, we have come to the conclusion that for us, home schooling is not an activity we watch our children do or that we merely do with our children, home education is a way of life for our family. Every day we have an opportunity to learn things together as a family.

I plan to blog more about our journey as lifelong learners. Buckle your seat belts and get ready for an exciting ride!

5 comments:

  1. Hi There!
    I am Cathy_Ohio on the sonlight forum. I actually just started a sonlight blog roll. Would you be interested in joining? If so you can link up your blog here: http://theattachedmama.blogspot.com/2011/04/sonlight-blog-roll-for-2011-2012.html

    Your fan and fellow sonlight-er,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lidia!
    It's me again. :) I just wanted to say thanks for dropping by my blog and all your kind words. I also helped you with adding your blog to the sonlight blog roll. Sorry you were having problems with the Linky Tool. I have a love/hate relationship with that thing. Sometimes it works great...other times it can be pretty finicky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cathy! I'm glad there are people out there who know way more about these things than the pitiful amount I know, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! What ages are your kids? We're starting Sonlight this year as well, doing Core 1 (or whatever it's called now) for K/1st grade. Looking forward to following your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julia! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your comment! I took a year off Sonlight, kind of, with my oldest but hope to begin Core 5 or whatever it's called now this September. My two boys are finishing up pre-k and hope to start Core K this September. We enjoyed doing Core 1. We added History Pockets for that Core and Elnora absolutely loved all the colouring! :-) We also did Core 2 but skipped Core 3 and 4. Enjoy your Sonlight journey!

    ReplyDelete