Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Of Bush Tea and Self Knowledge

Every once in a while, I come across a book or series of books that has a special impact on me or resonates with me.

Having spent my early childhood in Africa, there always seems to be a piece of me that is distinctly "African".

A few years ago, someone recommended a series of books for me to read. She informed that as a TCK*, I probably would particularly enjoy those books.

That is how I became a fan of Precious Ramotswe and her friends, relations, clients, and opponents. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith has given me lots of laughs, triggered many memories, and carried me to the country called "Nostalgia".

Not only have I read all the books but I have also listened to some of them read aloud on CD. I can't remember the name of the narrator on those CD's but I love how she reads with such a true accent that greatly increases the sense of nostalgia for me.

This past week I read the latest book in this series: The Double Comfort Safari Club.

Following is an excerpt from the book filled with a truth that is presented in McCall Smith's inimitable humorous style. It's on page 5 of the edition I read.

"That was the way the world was; it was composed of a few almost perfect people (ourselves); then there were a good many people who generally did their best but were not all that perfect (our friends and colleagues); and finally, there were a few rather nasty ones (our enemies and opponents)."

Isn't that priceless? :-) So just know, all you people who 'generally do your best but are not all that perfect', if you don't agree with me that this series is delightful, I may need to move you to the "rather nasty" category. Thus speaks the 'nearly perfect' one. ;-)

Seriously, if we are honest with ourselves, is this not how we often think? That is probably why Paul needed to write that we need to "esteem others better than ourselves" because our natural response to others is that we are better than they.

Now, my dear blog readers, brew yourselves a cup of bush tea, put up your feet, and enjoy a visit to Botswana with Precious and co.

*Trans-Cultural Kid

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love those series! And now as I'm drinking a glass of South African honeybush tea I'd just love to have one of those books to curl up with! I'll have to pick up some soon!

    ReplyDelete