Friday, June 3, 2011

What did we learn this week?

This blog was supposed to be about home education as well but I have written one, only one lone, post on that so far.

Well, let's remedy that!

We are on our last few weeks of the formal part of our home schooling for this school year. This week was supposed to be one of those weeks where lots of this book learning happens. We did three days.

Why?

Just blame the sun. After an extremely cold, wet spring we finally got a whole week of sunshine! I confess, I let the children play outside.

They got dirty in the sandbox.

They hunted for bugs.

They built a fort out of branches we had trimmed off one of our trees.

They blew bubbles.

They spent an inordinate amount of time on the swings.

They planted 'gardens'.

They tracked in lots and lots of sand and needed many baths. Their clothes got soiled but they've got sun-kissed legs, arms and faces. They are sleeping well and long at night and the amount of food they have consumed and water and juice they have sipped has risen astronomically.

I have been able to spend extra time organizing my home and preparing for our bathroom renovation starting next week.

I'm sure you're wondering how I can say this post is about home education! Ha, thought you'd never ask! :-)

I can tell you in one word: F L E X I B I L I T Y

Teaching my children at home means that I can allow them to take breaks like this from time to time knowing that there will be days in the summer when the kids don't know what to do. Sitting down then with a few books is no punishment especially if they are taught that education does not happen just during the school year and on week days.

Doing 30 minutes to 2 hours of 'school' per week during the summer is no hardship and allows the children to much better retain what they have learned throughout the year and not come back to school in September having forgotten so many things over the long summer. It also takes care of the days when they just need some one on one time with me.

This week I got a much needed break and so did the children. I would not be surprised if they learned nearly as much this week as in 'normal' weeks of book learning. They learned different things but they were still learning.

They learned how to get along with each other so they could stay out longer.

They learned to include Bob, who has spina bifida and can't walk. They helped him get on his plasma car, and on the swing. They brought the bugs to him for him to see and hold.

Bob learned to be patient and is now realizing that he doesn't need to worry about being left out.

Little Lucy is getting better at walking on uneven surfaces. :-)

These are just a few of the things my children learned this week. I think those are valuable things, don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment