Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What Christians Can Afford

Once upon a time, there was a deep ravine. The bridge that spanned the ravine was a narrow log.

One day, two mountain goats needed to cross that ravine. Naturally, being nimble of foot, they had no problem getting on that narrow log to cross over to the other side. There was just one problem.

The goats were on opposite sides of the ravine. Unnoticed by each other, they both stepped on the log at the same time and began to cross this chasm.

What was going to happen when they met? Closer and closer to each other they walked.

Amazingly, one mountain goat lay down right on the log. The other goat stepped over him and continued his walk to the other side. The mountain goat got up and also continued his journey.

They both got safely to the other side because one was willing to be stepped over.
This story is attributed to Martin Luther.

Our pastor used the story above to illustrate the sermon he preached on Philippians 4:5.

"Let your reasonableness be made known to all men, the Lord is at hand." ESV

As you can see from the portion that I copied from an online lexicon (see bottom of this post), reasonableness in this context means

"seemingly,
suitable,
equitable,
fair,
mild,
gentle".

Because of certain happenings in my life this week, this sermon has remained with me in an especially powerful way.

Our pastor told us that he once heard a rich man say, "I can afford to be generous."

Just like that rich man can afford to be generous, Christians can afford to be fair. I can afford to be gentle when treated unfairly. I can afford to be fair in my judgment of others. I can afford to be gracious when things don't go my way or when others are unkind to me.

It is not a bad thing to be stepped on as a Christian because Jesus is coming. He will bring justice. I don't need to take vengeance in my own hands. When it comes to my name, my comforts, and my ideas, I don't need to spend my time, money and energy quarreling with others and focusing on being 'right'.

When truth is at stake or when Christ's honour is at stake, I don't need to be passive. However, I can still choose to be gracious, fair, and gentle in my battle for the truth.

How often have we not justified angry outbursts, hate-filled speech, contemptuous looking down on others, scoffing at or mocking those who are not as 'enlightened' as we are by claiming to be fighting for the truth.

Boldness does not equate harshness. Standing up for the truth does not mean trampling on other believers.

The law of love is what should govern our actions. Christianity is real when we are able to respond in a Christlike manner when a bad temper, harshness or despair would be our natural responses.

Christianity is not about a religious system but is all about a relationship with a Person. A relationship which transforms our entire life, especially our character.

Christ is so patient with me every day. I can afford to be patient with others.

Every day, Christ forgives the sins I have done over and over. I can afford to forgive those who have hurt me over and over.

Christ has shown a tremendous grace towards me. I can afford to be gracious to others.

Christ has and continues to shower me with love and mercy. I can love others extravagantly and be merciful to my fellow brothers and sisters.

And when Jesus comes back, He continues to show me His love by taking me to live with Him and by making me perfect and wiping away every tear. How can I not afford to be like Him?

Epieikes

The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number: 1933
Original WordWord Origin
epieikeßfrom (1909) and (1503)
Transliterated WordTDNT Entry
Epieikes2:588,243
Phonetic SpellingParts of Speech
ep-ee-i-kace' Adjective
Definition
  1. seemingly, suitable
  2. equitable, fair, mild, gentle
NAS Word Usage - Total: 5
gentle 5
NAS Verse Count
Philippians1
1 Timothy1
Titus1
James1
1 Peter1


Total5
Greek lexicon based on Thayer's and Smith's Bible Dictionary plus others; this is keyed to the large Kittel and the "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament." These files are public domain.

Bibliography Information

Thayer and Smith. "Greek Lexicon entry for Epieikes". "The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon".. 1999.


No comments:

Post a Comment